Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Pedro Cholula in Municipality of San Pedro Cholula, Puebla, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Sanctuary of The Remedies

 
 
Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
1. Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker
Inscription.
Santuario de Los Remedios
Antes de establecer la ermita de la Virgen de los Remedios sobre la gran pirámide Tlachihualtepet, se colocó una cruz en el lugar del Teocalli dedicado a la divinidad prehispánica. En 1536 fue derribada por un rayo. Posteriormente colocaron una segunda y tercera cruz que fueron derribadas en las mismas circunstancias que la primera, los frailes franciscanos encontraron en la cima del cerro caracoles marinos e ídolos prehispánicos enterrados.

La construcción de la iglesia se inició en 1594 y fue terminada en 1666. El material con que fue construida la ermita fue tomado de la misma pirámide. Francisco de la Maza hace una interpretacion de las características que pudo haber presentado esta primera ermita: que tenía una fachada de tres cuerpos bien diferenciados, con salientes contrafuertes laterales; la ventana del coro era rectangular y el remate llevaba un nicho. La torre era de dos cuerpos, a la izquierda de la fachada, el primer cuerpo de sección cuadrada y el segundo en ochavo, con elevado y airoso cupulin De la Maza obtiene esta descripción de una litografía de mediados de siglo XIX.

El templo de la Virgen de los Remedios fue reconstruido en 1864, el clero secular intervino en dicha reconstrucción, incluso la imagen de la Virgen fue trasladada a la pamoquia en 1867 y
Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker, English version image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
2. Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker, English version
Note the stone cross behind the marker.
estuvo ahí hasta que se terminó la reconstrucción del templo. Diez años después de ocurrido el temblor, en 1874, la imagen fue devuelta a su Santuario.

English:
Sanctuary of The Remedies
Before establishing the chapel dedicated to our Lady of Remedies on the Great Pyramid Tlachihualtepetl, a cross was placed in the Teocalli or temple dedicated to the prehispanic deity. In 1536 was struck by lightning beam. Then a second and a third cross were placed but demolished by the same circumstances of the first one, the Franciscans climb to the top of the hill and found buried snails and prehispanic idols.

The construction of the church dedicated to Our Lady of Remedies began in 1594 and finished in 1666. The material of which the shrine was built was taken from the same pyramid. Francisco de la Maza makes an interpretation of the features that could have this first chapel, that says "it had a facade of 3 distinct bodies, with projected lateral buttresses, rectangular choirs window with a niche. Two bodies lower in the left of the facade, the first body of square section and the second penny (sic, in bronze), with a high and graceful cupola”. De la Maza gets this description from a lithograph of the mid nineteenth century.

The Cathedral of the Virgen de los Remedios was rebuilt in 1864, the secular clergy took
Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker, the third side with tourist information image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
3. Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker, the third side with tourist information
part in the reconstruction, including the move of the Virgin image to the parish in 1867 where saved until the temple was finished, ten years later, after the tremor occurred in 1874, the statue was returned to the shrine.

Third side:
Descubre Puebla
Puebla es un descubrimiento continuo y lleno de sorpresas. Prepárese para disfrutar hermosos paisajes, entretenidas caminatas, cascadas o bien, llegue a los balnearios de aguas termales para aliviar sus males. Conozca a su gente y maravíllese con las artesanías, rituales religiosos, fiestas tradicionales y a cada paso recorra su pasado con las impresionantes construcciones civiles, religiosas y arqueológicas. Relájese en sus centros recreativos donde podrá pescar, acampar y rentar lanchas.

English:
Discover Puebla
Puebla is a continuous discovery full of surprises. Be prepared to enjoy beautiful landscapes, entertainments, walks, cascades or, arrive to the thermal water spas to relieve your pain. Get know it people and marvelled at the religious rituals, handcrafts, traditional celebrations, and with each step you take go around the past with the impressive civil, religious and archaeological constructions. Relaxes in its recreational centers where it will be able to fish, camping and rent boats.
Puebla
¡Mi mero mole!

www.visitpuebla.travel
01
Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
4. Sanctuary of The Remedies Marker
The marker is in the atrium, the small plaza in front of the sanctuary.
800 326 86 56

 
Location. 19° 3.486′ N, 98° 18.123′ W. Marker is in San Pedro Cholula, Puebla, in Municipality of San Pedro Cholula. Marker can be reached from Calle 14 Poniente just from Calle 6 Norte. Touch for map. The walkway to the top of the pyramid and the sanctuary starts at the intersection of Calle 14 Poniente and Calle 6 Norte. The marker is directly west of the sanctuary. Marker is in this post office area: San Pedro Cholula, Puebla 72760, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Moisés Toxqui Avila (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Franciscan Convent of The Archangel Gabriel / San Pedro Cholula (approx. half a kilometer away); Emiliano Zapata (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Parish of San Pedro Apostle (approx. 0.8 kilometers away).
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches, Etc.Colonial EraMan-Made Features
 
The Sanctuary of The Remedies seen at dawn image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
5. The Sanctuary of The Remedies seen at dawn
A view to the west from the sanctuary image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
6. A view to the west from the sanctuary
In this view from the top of the pyramid can be seen the volcanos Iztaccihuatl on the right and Popocatepetl to the left.
Additional markers on the small chapel to the right of the sanctuary image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 10, 2017
7. Additional markers on the small chapel to the right of the sanctuary
The small chapel to the right of the sanctuary has many memorial markers. Most are related to remodeling and other efforts, such as these two examples. They read:

La 1ª capilla de este santuario
fue construida de 1594 a 1666
y fue derrumbada en 1864
quedando solo el camarin

Recuerdo
Del pueblo de San Bernardino Tlaxcalancing.
Desde el año de 1825 fue la primera bajada,la 2a en 1850, la 3a
en 1870. Respecto del templo construido, fue derrumbado por
un terremoto el mes de octubre de 1864. La imagen de Nuestra Sra.
de los Remedios fue a la Parroquia de Cholula en julio de
1867. Los Srs. Lic. Luis Gonzaga Z. Pbro. Don Joaquin Cruz M. y Don
Jose Ma, Daniel fueron presidente, secretario y tesorero.
Reunidos de una junta pro-construccion del Santuario d’ los Remedios de la
capilla destruida, convocaron a los circunvecinos para colectar fondos
para la reconstruccion del templo. En esta colecta citandose el Sr.
Esteban Tocal, de Sn. Bernardino Tlaxcalancingo, para no contar dio una almud
de pesos que contiene 5 Lts. El 24 deagosto de 1869 fue inaugurado el
templo que existe. Del año 1909 hasta la actualidad sigue la bajada y se celebran
las fiestas de los 17 dias, siendo a la fecha P.S. Leopoldo Magdaleno
Esta historia fue aprobada por la comisión de 1965
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 8, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement