Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Veracruz in Municipality of Veracruz, Mexico — The Gulf Coast
 

The Wall of the Rings

 
 
The Wall of the Rings Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
1. The Wall of the Rings Marker
Inscription.
Muro de las argollas
Esta estructura, a la que también se le conoce como Cortina Sur, fue, hasta la segunda mitad del siglo XVI, uno de los primeros elementos arquitectónicos de Ulúa. Hecha de mampostería de coral estaba flanqueada por dos torres (1584), una al oriente - baluarte de San Pedro - y otra al poniente - baluarte de San Crispin - , las cuales disponían de artillería para defender el puerto.

El muro contaba con treinta y dos grandes argollas de bronce que servían de amarre a los barcos que cruzaban el océano Atlántico y llegaban aquí a descargar sus mercancias. También brindaba protección a las embarcaciones frente a los vientos del norte, los cuales siguen azotando a esta parte del Golfo.

Hacia 1783, había diez bóvedas pegadas al muro de las argollas que daban hacia el interior. Se sabe que dos de ellas eran cocinas con fogón y, otras tres, se empleaban como panadería.

A finales del siglo XIX, con la instalación del Arsenal Nacional Tres en el fuerte, se abrieron tres puertas en el muro, custodiadas por seis garitones y una banqueta que funcionó como muelle, y que facilitó la entrada de los insumos de guerra y la reparación de las embarcaciones.

Actualmente, en el muro se encuentra la "puerta del mar”, uno de los sitios más emblemáticos de la fortaleza.

English
The Wall of the Rings Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
2. The Wall of the Rings Marker
A view of the marker towards the west, with Bastion San Pedro and the modern-day port in the distance.
translation:
Wall of the Rings
This structure, which is also known as the Southern Curtain, was, until the second half of the sixteenth century, one of the first architectural elements of Ulúa. Made of coral masonry, it was flanked by two towers (1584), one to the east – the bastion of San Pedro - and another to the west – the bastion of San Crispin -, both of which had artillery to defend the port.

It had thirty-two large bronze rings that served as moorings for the ships that crossed the Atlantic ocean and came here to unload their goods. The fort also provided protection to the boats from northern winds, which continue to lash this part of the Gulf of Mexico.

By 1783, there were ten vaulted rooms attached to the Wall of the Rings, towards the interior. Two of them had stoves and were used for cooking. The other three rooms were used as bakeries.

At the end of the 19th century, with the installation of the Third National Arsenal in the fort, three gates were opened in the wall, guarded by six checkpoints and a walkway that worked as a pier, and which facilitated the entrance of military supplies and the repair of vessels.

Today, the wall contains the "Gate to the Sea", one of the most emblematic sites of the fort.
 
Location. 19° 12.542′ N, 96° 
The Wall of the Rings image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
3. The Wall of the Rings
The name, "Wall of Rings" comes from these large, bronze anchoring rings sunk into the wall that were used for docking boats close to the fort.
7.908′ W. Marker is in Veracruz, Veracruz, in Municipality of Veracruz. Touch for map. The marker is to the west when facing the "Gate of the Sea" from the southern exterior wall of the Fort San Juan Ulúa. Marker is in this post office area: Veracruz 91700, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Last Stronghold of the Spanish in Mexico (within shouting distance of this marker); The “Curtain” of San Fernando (within shouting distance of this marker); Patio of the Curtain or Dry Moat (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bastion of San Pedro (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bastion of San Crispin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Governor's House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); General Miguel Barragán (about 120 meters away); Benito Juárez in Prison in San Juan de Ulúa (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Veracruz.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesMan-Made Features
 
One of the rings previously set into the Wall of the Rings image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
4. One of the rings previously set into the Wall of the Rings
This large, bronze ring is currently in the Governor's House Museum at Fort San Juan Ulúa. It was previously used during the colonial period to dock boats at the fort.
The "Gate to the Sea" at San Juan Ulúa image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
5. The "Gate to the Sea" at San Juan Ulúa
The marker is just outside the gate to the right in this view.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4, 5. submitted on June 10, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement