Floyd County / Montgomery County
Floyd County was named for John Floyd, governor of Virginia from 1830 to 1834. The county was formed from Montgomery County in 1831, with a portion of Franklin County added later. The county seat is Floyd, formerly Jacksonville. Admiral Robbey Evans, hero of the Spanish-American War, was born here on 1846. Congressman William Ballard Preston and Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early, C.S.A., served the county as commonwealth's attorneys. Henry Dillon, a noted area builder, using architect Asher Benjamin's pattern book, The Practical House Carpenter, constructed the old Floyd Presbyterian Church in 1850.
Montgomery County was named for Brig. Gen. Richard Montgomery, who was killed in the American assault on Quebec on 31 Dec, 1775. The county was formed from Fincastle County in 1776, and parts of Botetourt and Pulaski Counties were added later. The county seat is Christiansburg. William Preston, a Revolutionary officer, Indian fighter, and member of the House of Burgesses completed Smithfield, one of the county's outstanding historic houses, in 1774. His son James Patton Preston and a grandson John Buchanan Floyd, born at Smithfield, both served as governors of Virginia.
Erected 1998. (Marker Number Z-81.)
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montgomery County War Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); Lewis-McHenry Duel (approx. 8 miles away); Montgomery County Confederate Monument (approx. 8 miles away); Christiansburg (approx. 8˝ miles away); Christiansburg Industrial Institute (approx. 8.8 miles away); Albert Tappe Howard’s Milk House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Floyd (approx. 9.3 miles away); Ingles Ferry Road (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floyd.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2017, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2017, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.