Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Veracruz in Municipality of Veracruz, Mexico — The Gulf Coast
 

Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage

 
 
Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
1. Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage Marker
Inscription.
Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje
La capilla del Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje es una construcción de la época del Virreinato, se piensa que es obra de los primeros religiosos llegados a America y que inició su construcción en 1609.

En su interior se venera al Cristo del Buen Viaje y a su lado está la Virgen de la Piedad.

La leyenda sobre la imagen del Cristo es que llegó flotando en una caja de madera y que fue sacada del agua por unos pescadores, los cuales solicitaron se construyera una ermita en el sitio en que la imagen fue encontrada.

Esta pequeña capilla luce sus rectos muros, cúpula y una espadaña con cuatro arcos de los cuales penden las campanas.

En el lado izquierdo de la portada existe una placa commemorativa a la llegada de los doce franciscanos que vinieron a fundar la Iglesia Católica en el continente Americano, con la autorización del Papa Adriano VI en 1524.

English translation:
Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage
The chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage is a construction from the time of the Viceroyalty and is believed that it is the work of the first religious members to arrive in America. Its construction began in 1609.

Inside it is venerated the Christ of the Good Voyage and to his side is the Virgin
An additional nearby marker on the first missionaries of 1524. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
2. An additional nearby marker on the first missionaries of 1524.
This additional marker mentioned in the featured marker's text reads:

1524. 1956.
En el CDXXXII aniversario de la llegada a San Juan de Ulua de los doce misioneros franciscanos que vinieron a fundar la iglesia Catolico en el continente americano, con la autorización del Papa Adriano VI.
Hca. Veracruz, Ver. 13 de mayo de 1956.

English translation:
1524 - 1956
On the 432nd anniversary of the arrival in San Juan de Ulúa of the twelve Franciscan missionaries who came to found the Catholic Church in the American continent under the authorization of Pope Adrian VI.
Heroic Veracruz, Veracruz, May 13, 1956.
of Pity.

The legend of the image of the Christ is that it was floating in a wooden box and was taken out of the water by some local fishermen, who requested that a hermitage be built at the site where the image was found.

This small chapel is adorned by its straight walls, dome and a steeple with four arches from which the bells hang.

On the left side of the façade there is a commemorative plaque on the arrival of the twelve Franciscans who came to found the Catholic Church on the American continent under the authorization of Pope Adrian VI in 1524.
 
Location. 19° 11.668′ N, 96° 8.071′ W. Marker is in Veracruz, Veracruz, in Municipality of Veracruz. Marker is on Manuel Doblado just east of Avenida 20 de Noviembre, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Veracruz 91700, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francisco Javier Clavijero Echegaray (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); 100th Anniversary of Firefighting in Veracruz (about 240 meters away); The Veracruz City Museum (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Lieutenant José Azueta (approx. half a kilometer away); The Mexican Naval Academy
Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 23, 2017
3. Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage Marker
The marker is to the right of the entrance. To the left is the additional marker on the arrival of the twelve Fransciscans to Mexico in 1524.
(approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Veracruz Memorial to the Fallen of Foreign Invasions (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Major General Álvaro Obregón (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Portal de Miranda Building (approx. 0.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Veracruz.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement