Pendleton in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Pendleton
After decades as a milling center and stone quarry, the area around the falls was, by 1918, an eyesore. Pendleton hardware store owner and town board member B.F. Phipps felt the area should be more than the town dump. His vision: Clean it up and create a park. Fellow board members D.J. Williams, D.B. Cole and George Kinnard agreed and approved a tax levy to fund park development.
Fall Creek Cannery donated some of the land in 1919; the town board purchased other property for $5,500. The creek was cleared of rubbish, the banks smoothed and made suitable for lounging in the sun, the stone quarry cleaned, a dam built to form a swimming pool below the falls, and Falls Park opened in 1920.
The new Falls Park drew tourists from miles around. Said the Pendleton Times in 1922: The “desolate ragged spot” had been transformed into “one of the grandest spots in all of Godís great out-of-doors” and “No finer beach can be found anywhere than right here in Pendleton, with its sandy bottom and sandy shores.”
Through the years, the parkís success and residentsí support have provided improvements, maintenance and restoration: a lighthouse in the center of the lake; a cast-iron fountain by J.W. Fisks & Company; rock planters built by Works Projects Administration;
Location. 40° 0.277′ N, 85° 44.72′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Falls Park Drive and North Pendleton Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Falls Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located within Falls Park, near the entrance off Pendleton Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Falls Park Dr, Pendleton IN 46064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Falls (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abolitionists Mobbed (about 600 feet away); Indians Murdered 1824 (about 700 feet away); Pendleton Town Hall Explosion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Three White Men Were Hung Here (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bicentennial (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Anderson Street Railway (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Additional keywords. Parks
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 91 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.