Site of St. John's Church and Cemetery
Site of the original St. John's Church and cemetery constructed in 1847 by Father John Vincent O'Reilly to serve the Erie Railroad Workers building the Star[r]ucca viaduct.
In 1853 the parish moved to Susquehanna as the workers followed the Erie repair shops and rail yard.
The parish dedicated the existing St. John's Church in 1880.
Location. 41° 57.656′ N, 75° 35.111′ W. Marker is in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania, in Susquehanna County. Marker is on Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 1009) south of Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Lanesboro Community Center, Lanesboro PA 18827, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Starrucca Viaduct (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Starrucca Viaduct - The Bridge of Stone (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother Theresa Maxis Duchemin (approx. 1.1 miles away); “Go, and Be Baptized” (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Susquehanna River (approx. 2.8 miles away); Joseph Smith
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.