Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Stockade On Corn Island, 1778
On Corn Island, 1778.
A group of pioneers,
under the military protection
of General George Rogers Clark,
made the original settlement
of the town of Louisville
in May, 1778 on Corn Island,
then about one hundred fifty yards
from shore, opposite this site.
The National Society of Colonial Dames of
America in the Commonwealth of Kentucky 1924
Erected 1924 by The National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 38° 15.451′ N, 85° 45.697′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W Main Street and N 7th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in Fort Nelson Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 W Main Street, Louisville KY 40201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Nelson Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Evan Williams (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); D.X. Murphy & Bro., Architects Al J. Schneider (approx. ¼ mile away); Louis XVI (approx. ¼ mile away); General George Rogers Clark (approx. ¼ mile away); York (approx. ¼ mile away); City and County Named / Jefferson County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Also see . . . Corn Island (Kentucky) on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.