Laurel Park in Henry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Patrick Henry’s Leatherwood Home
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number U-40.)
Location. 36° 40.706′ N, 79° 46.66′ W. Marker is in Laurel Park, Virginia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 58 and Business U.S. 58, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 58. Touch for map. Can only bee seen from U.S. 58 eastbound lanes. Marker is in this post office area: Martinsville VA 24112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chatmoss (approx. 2 miles away); Henry County U.D.C. Monument (approx. 5.4 miles Martinsville (approx. 5.4 miles away); Henry County War Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Martinsville Speedway (approx. 5.4 miles away); Near War's End (approx. 5.4 miles away); Belleview (approx. 5½ miles away); Fayette Street (approx. 5.6 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker with the same number and title erected most likely in the 1970s. This previous marker was on Chatham Road (Virginia Route 57) 0.1 miles east of Blue Knob Road (County Route 628).
That marker read, “Leatherwood, ¼ mile to the south, was the home plantation of Patrick Henry from June 1779 until December 1784, when he left to serve his fourth term as governor of Virginia. Henry was one of the largest landowners of the area and served five terms as a member of the House of Delegates from Henry County.”
There is another Commonwealth of Virginia marker with this same number but with no relation to this marker. The other U-40 marker is titled “Berry Hill” and is located on U.S. Business 58 at Challahan Hills.
Also see . . . Leatherwood Plantation. “Patrick Henry purchased Leatherwood and jointly owned it along with his first cousin, Ann Wilson Carr and her husband, George Waller. After Patrick Henry completed his first term as the first elected governor of Virginia in 1776, he moved to a brick home on Leatherwood plantation. There he grew tobacco and practiced law. In 1780, Henry County was named in his honor, and sent him back to the capital as their representative to the Virginia House of Delegates. Several of his children were born there during his residency.” (Submitted on June 19, 2017.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the 1922 DAR plaque on a boulder near Leatherwood, on its own page. • Can you help?