Near Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1908 Hooper provided six acres and helped build a schoolhouse for his seven and the neighbors' children. Hooper donated land in 1910 for Edgar Howard to build the first store where he ran a post office and wagon yard. Methodist and Baptist congregations met in the school building until they erected sanctuaries. The post office closed in 1914 but the settlement boasted a blacksmith shop and a cotton gin. In 1917 Hooper gave one acre for a burial ground.
Although population decline caused the Halfway School to consolidate with Plainview in 1952, the community is still prospering. Located here is the High Plains Research Foundation to aid farmers in the surrounding 19-county area.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2334.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Olton's Union Church Bell (approx. 10˝ miles away); Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse (approx. 10˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Hale Center (approx. 10˝ miles away); Nils Akeson (approx. 10˝ miles away); Site of Epworth (approx. 10˝ miles away); J. Frank Norfleet (approx. 10˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Olton (approx. 11.1 miles away); Ranching and Farming in Hale County (approx. 11.2 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.