Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Woodlawn in Carroll County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Woodlawn School

 
 
Woodlawn School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
1. Woodlawn School Marker
Inscription. Woodlawn Mate and Female Academy, a private school, was Founded in 1878 and became the Woodlawn Normal Institute in 1898, a preparatory school for teachers. Named Woodlawn in 1907, it became the first public high school in Carroll County after the Virginia General Assembly passed the 1906 Mann High School bill. In 1917, School Superintendent J. Lee Cox obtained federal funding that made Woodlawn High School the first school in the United States to teach vocational agriculture under the Smith-Hughes Act. Fred R. Kirby was the first vocational agricultural instructor at Woodlawn and was named Master Teacher of the South in 1933.
 
Erected 2010 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number U-27a.)
 
Location. 36° 43.653′ N, 80° 49.134′ W. Marker is near Woodlawn, Virginia, in Carroll County. Marker is on Woodlawn Road (Route 872) east of Snake Creek Road (County Route 620), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodlawn VA 24381, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodlawn (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Stonemans (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hillsville
Woodlawn School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
2. Woodlawn School Marker
(approx. 5.3 miles away); Carroll County (approx. 5.7 miles away); John Carroll (approx. 6.4 miles away); Galax (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Railroad: Lifeline to the World (approx. 7.3 miles away); Galax: Home of Traditional Mountain Music (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodlawn.
 
Also see . . .  Woodlawn School closing after century of service. 2013 article by Michael Howlett in The Carroll News. “In 1878, the Woodlawn Male and Female Academy was founded by Isaac A. Minor on a small tract of land not far from the original log schoolhouse. The school’s name was changed to Woodlawn Normal Institute in 1898 and headed by Professor George Ivy. A boarding hall for students was built in 1902 and then rebuilt in 1904 following a fire. The building housed the Carroll County Library, which was the first circulating school library in Virginia, until 1957, and used as a cafeteria and classrooms. The structure, which was destroyed in 1960, stood where the present-day baseball field is located.” (Submitted on June 23, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
Woodlawn School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
3. Woodlawn School and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 153 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement