Near Matador in Motley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Henry H. Campbell
Campbell's wife, Elizabeth Bundy, joined him at the ranch in 1880. Refusing to live underground in a dugout, she insisted on camping in a tent until lumber could be hauled in for a two-room house. She served as hostess and nurse at the ranch, and later was post-mistress at Matador.
In its first three years, the Matador Ranch holdings grew to include 40,000 head of cattle on 100,000 acres of land, with an additional 1.5 million acres of free range rights. In 1882 the ranch was bought by a Scottish syndicate, The Matador Land & Cattle Company, LTD. Campbell continued his association with the ranch, serving as ranch superintendent until 1890.
Henry H. Campbell led efforts to create Motley County in 1891. After serving two terms as county judge, he retired to concentrate on his ranch interests on Dutchman Creek. He died in Matador on May 23, 1911.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2448.)
Location. 33° 57.899′ Touch for map. Marker is in roadside park. Marker is in this post office area: Matador TX 79244, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cottonwood Mott Line Camp (approx. 3.2 miles away); Matador Ranch (approx. 11½ miles away); Motley County (approx. 11.6 miles away); Bob's Oil Well (approx. 11.8 miles away); Traweek House (approx. 11.9 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 12.2 miles away); Motley County Jail (approx. 12.2 miles away); Whiteflat (approx. 12½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Matador.
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.