Sparta in Alleghany County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rufus A. Doughton
Erected 1966 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number M-37.)
Location. 36° 30.348′ N, 81° 7.256′ W. Marker is in Sparta, North Carolina, in Alleghany County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 21) just north of Whitehead Street (State Highway 18), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. It is at the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Sparta NC 28675, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Lee Doughton (approx. 6 miles away); Independence (approx. 8.1 miles away in Virginia); a different marker also named Independence (approx. 8.3 miles away in Virginia); Robert L. Doughton (approx. 10.2 miles away); Fox Hunters Paradise (approx. 11˝ miles away); First County Seat (approx. 13.6 miles away in Virginia); Payton Guyn Hale (approx. 13.9 miles away in Virginia); Galax (approx. 15.2 miles away in Virginia).
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “Rufus A. Doughton (1857–1946) was a member of the North Carolina
“Rufus was one of twelve children of J.H. and Rebecca Doughton of Laurel Springs, North Carolina. All twelve children—men and women—went to college. Rufus attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His family home is now a bed and breakfast called Doughton Hall. ... He chaired the House Ways and Means Committee for many years, longer than any other Congressman. A book called Hillbilly Women includes a story of a poor woman whose family needed money to bury a relative and walked over the ridge to ask ‘Rufe Doughton’ for help.” (Submitted on June 23, 2017.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.