Sagan Planet Walk
An ice giant, tipped on its side
• Uranus has a rocky core, a mantle of water ice, ammonia ice, and methane ice, and a gaseous outer envelope of hydrogen, helium and a bit of methane gas, giving it a blue tint.
• Winds on Uranus can reach speeds of 900 km/hr, four times faster than the strongest winds on Earth!
• The poles of Uranus are tipped by 98°, so the planet rotates on its side as it orbits the Sun.
• Uranus has 13 distinct rings, which may have formed from the destruction of ancient moons.
• Because Uranus is tipped on its side, its polar regions are in almost complete darkness for nearly 21 years at a time!
[Photo caption reads]
Keck Observatory image of Uranus with its rings and methane clouds
...and its rocky-ice moons
• The moons of Uranus are composed of rock and ice. Their surfaces are heavily cratered.
• Miranda is home to Verona Rupes, the tallest cliff in our Solar System. At 20 km deep, it is ten times deeper than Earth's Grand Canyon!
• Voyager 2 detected silicate rock and water ice with hints of carbon dioxide on Ariel.
• Cupid, the smallest Uranian moon, is only 18 km in diameter.
[Photo caption reads]
The six largest moons, from left to right: Puck, Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon.
The mass of 14.5 Earths = the mass of 1 Uranus
One Uranus day = 17 hours and 15 minutes
1 Uranus year = 84 Earth years
Known moons: 27
The diameter of Uranus = 4 Earth diameters
Earth Highest [temp] 57°c • Lowest [temp] -89°c
Uranus Mean [temp] -214°c
Weight on Earth 100 [lbs]
Weight on Uranus 107 [lbs]
In the Sun-sized window is a scaled representations of Uranus.
This sculpture and walking tour depict our Solar System at on five-billionth (1/5,000,000,000) of its actual size.
Erected 1997 by Sciencenter.
Location. 42° 26.701′ N, 76° 29.966′ W. Marker is in Ithaca, New York, in Tompkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Cayuga Street and Farm Street, on the left when traveling north on Cayuga Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Thompson Park, Ithaca NY 14850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ithaca's First Fire Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Oregon Mission (approx.
Also see . . .
1. Uranus: Overview: The Sideways Planet. (Submitted on June 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Sagan Planet Walk. (Submitted on June 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Air & Space • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 24, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.