Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn

 
 
Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
1. Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn Marker
Inscription.
Clinton
Early settlers who came here from New York via the Erie Canal named this community in honor of DeWitt Clinton, the governor of their native state. First settled in 1829, Clinton became an important center of trade because of its location on the Chicago Road at the River Raisin. Only a decade after its settlement, the village had ten general stores, several blacksmith shops, and a hardware store. Five religious groups organized and built churches during this early era. In 1832 Clinton's first school was established; four years later a flouring mill began operation. A railway with wooden rails constructed about 1837 ran for a few years and by 1857 it had steel tracks. In order to utilize local wool production, village businessmen organized the Clinton Woolen Mills in 1866 which employed many area people until closing in 1957.

Site of the Clinton Inn
The Sauk and Potawatomi Indians first traversed this main thoroughfare as a portion of the Sauk Trail. It became a military road after Congress appropriated funds in the 1820s for survey and construction of a route from Detroit to Chicago. Built about 1830 on this site, the Clinton Inn served travelers on the Chicago Road who journeyed by stagecoach, covered wagon, and horseback. Originally called
Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
2. Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn Marker
the Eagle Hotel, the Inn became the Union Hotel during the Civil War and lodged soldiers coming to and from the front. Walter Hubbell Smith purchased the Inn in 1864. His daughter and heir, Mary Ella Smith, sold the building in 1927 to Henry Ford who moved it to Greenfield Village. There the Inn was restored and reopened in 1929.
 
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State and Historical Society of Clinton. (Marker Number L474.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 4.362′ N, 83° 58.245′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is on East Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Clinton Village Offices, about 325 feet east of Jackson Street/Tecumseh Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 East Michigan Avenue, Clinton MI 49236, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jira Payne House / The Smith-Kimball Family (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clinton Woolen Mill (approx. 0.3
Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn Marker and Clinton Village Offices image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 14, 2017
3. Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn Marker and Clinton Village Offices
miles away); Riverside Mortuary Chapel / Wirt Rowland (approx. 0.3 miles away); Manchester War Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away); Davenport House (approx. 7 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); Salem Church (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Also see . . .  Eagle Tavern Cookbook. The Clinton Inn is now the Eagle Tavern at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. A History of the Clinton Inn/Eagle Tavern can be found in the Eagle Tavern Cookbook. (Submitted on July 2, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Clinton Inn
The Clinton Inn mentioned on this marker should not be confused with the current Clinton Inn at the northwest corner of Jackson Street and Michigan Avenue. As the marker states, the original Clinton Inn was moved to Greenfield Village and is now called the Eagle Tavern.
    — Submitted July 2, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Looking for a picture of the Eagle Tavern at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Mich. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement