Near Liberty in Tazewell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Maiden Springs Fort
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number XY-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 marker series.
Location. 37° 1.788′ N, 81° 40.894′ W. Marker is near Liberty, Virginia, in Tazewell County. Marker is on Virginia Route 91 just north of Wardell Road (County Route 609), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pounding Mill VA 24637, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roark’s Gap Incident (approx. 7.6 miles away); Big Crab Orchard Or Witten’s Fort (approx. 8.6 miles away); Pisgah United Methodist Church (approx. 8.7 miles away); Indian-Settler Conflicts (approx. 8.7 miles away); Richlands (approx. 9.2 miles away); Smith’s Fort (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mathias Harman, Sr. (approx. 9.9 miles away); Tazewell (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Frontier Forts of Southwest Virginia. This was one of the seven original forts, says this sketch by Emory L. Hamilton in his 1948 book Historical Sketches of Southwest Virginia. “The third fort under Captain Daniel Smith's command was the Maiden Springs Station located at the Maiden Spring branch of Clinch River, and was the home of Rees Bowen. No description has been found as to the construction details or size of this fort. There is no account that it ever came under direct assault by the Indians, but it did remain one of the frontier defense bastions throughout the troubled Indian days.” (Submitted on July 2, 2017.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.