Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Canadian River Breaks in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Great Spanish Road / First Ranch in Potter County / First Store in Potter County

 
 
Great Spanish Road / First Ranch in Potter County / First Store in Potter County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 29, 2017
1. Great Spanish Road / First Ranch in Potter County / First Store in Potter County Marker
Inscription.
Great Spanish Road
Near course of the Canadian River, early as days of the American Revolution, men from Santa Fe went past this spot on trips to meet traders from San Augustine, Nacogdoches, and other Spanish towns of East Texas. In 1786, Pedro Vial was commissioned by the Spanish Governor at Santa Fe to establish this route, and secure direct connection from Santa Fe to San Antonio, Texas, with access to East Texas towns. The Great Spanish Road served well colonial Texas and foreshadowed 20th Century usage of the route for a segment of a great intercontinental highway.

First Ranch in Potter County
Established 1877 at point 1½ miles east of this site, by Bates and Beals, northern investors. Ran the LX Brand, and once had a cowboy named Will Rogers--later internationally famous as a humorist.

First store in Potter County
Opened 1878 a few hundred feet west of this marker, by William Pitcher, whose name was given to nearby creek, and who figured in a desperate robbery from which LX cowhands rescued him.
 
Erected 1965 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2265.)
 
Location. 35° 28.553′ N, 101° 52.983′ 
This marker is the one on the right. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 29, 2017
2. This marker is the one on the right.
W. Marker is near Canadian River Breaks, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on U.S. 287 0.6 miles north of Canadian River Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 US-287, Amarillo TX 79108, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Canadian River (here, next to this marker); First Cemetery in Potter County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The _X (LX) First Ranch in Potter County (approx. 1.6 miles away); The United States Topographical Engineers in the High Plains of Texas (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Gas Well in the Panhandle of Texas (approx. 7.7 miles away); Masterson (approx. 11.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
View south on US-287 towards the Canadian River, about one-half mile in distance. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 29, 2017
3. View south on US-287 towards the Canadian River, about one-half mile in distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 82 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement