Auburn in Androscoggin County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Cities of the Androscoggin
Location. 44° 5.539′ N, 70° 13.506′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Maine, in Androscoggin County. Marker can be reached from Main Street (Maine Route 136). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Auburn ME 04210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Bonney Park (a few steps from this marker).
More about this marker. The bridge crosses the Androscoggin River near Twenty-Mile Falls. Bonney Park is on the Auburn side of the bridge. There is also a park on the Lewiston side, where a balloon festival has been held over the last few years.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of the City of Lewiston (Submitted on May 28, 2007.)
2. Lewiston/Auburn Historical Walking Tour. (Submitted on May 28, 2007.)
1. The Monopoly-Busting Spur
This bridge was built to carry a spur of the Grand Trunk Railway’s Portland-Montreal line to Auburn and Lewiston. The spur terminated at the Grand Trunk Station in Lewiston on Lincoln Street, just across the river from Auburn. The cities of Lewiston and Auburn formed and funded the Lewiston Auburn Railroad in 1872 to build the 7½ mile spur from Danville Junction in order to break the freight monopoly of the Maine Central Railroad, which exclusively served the two cities. The Grand Trunk Railway, and then Canadian National Railways, operated passenger service to Auburn and Lewiston on this spur through the 1950’s. The two cities were considered to be on the line between Portland and Montreal for ticketing purposes, although it appears that shuttle trains—and later, buses—met the Portland-Montreal trains at Danville Junction.
— Submitted May 28, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Categories. • 20th Century • Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2007, by Peter Linehan of Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,437 times since then and 145 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2007, by Peter Linehan of Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.