Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Crosbyton in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas Ranger Campsite

(one mile north)

 
 
Texas Ranger Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
1. Texas Ranger Campsite Marker
Inscription. Law and order for Plains area began here in 1879 with creation of Camp Roberts, first ranger station in Panhandle. Company C of the newly formed Frontier Battalion of Texas Rangers was located here and commanded by Capt. G. W. Arrington, Civil War veteran, hard-fighting Ranger, later a Panhandle sheriff and rancher. Battalion commander was Maj. John B. Jones.

Frontier Battalion was created to protect settlers from marauding Indians and outlaws; rowdy cowboys also needed disciplining. Captain Arrington's C Company was to have 75 men to meet these duties--he never had more than 28. A large territory and few men to cover it meant scouting parties always on the move.

Living conditions on the vast, arid plains, scouting trips, encounters with violence, long watches over dangerous captives made a Ranger's life hard. Each man was self-supporting, furnishing his own saddle, ropes, guns, clothing, horse, bedding; he received small salary, ammunition and food from the state. Shooting matches provided much of his off-duty entertainment.

By 1881 local Indian menace was removed; Rangers went to new frontier, 1882. Remnants of Camp Roberts today are foundations of three sod buildings around an old well used by the Rangers.
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker
Four historical markers at the intersection of highway US-82 and Farm to Market road 2591. image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 9, 2017
2. Four historical markers at the intersection of highway US-82 and Farm to Market road 2591.
Main Supply Camp on Historic Mackenzie Trail Marker
Texas Ranger Campsite Marker
Two-Buckle Ranch Headquarters Marker
Old Dewey Lake Marker
Number 5267.)
 
Location. 33° 39.871′ N, 101° 10.532′ W. Marker is near Crosbyton, Texas, in Crosby County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 82 and Farm to Market Road 2591, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crosbyton TX 79322, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Main Supply Camp on Historic Mackenzie Trail (here, next to this marker); Two-Buckle Ranch Headquarters (here, next to this marker); Old Dewey Lake (here, next to this marker); Crosbyton Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); J. J. Pierce (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lamar Family (approx. 2.1 miles away); Crosby County (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Rock House (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crosbyton.
 
Categories. Native AmericansPeace
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the sod buildings described in the marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement