Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Bloomfield Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

“Motoring” to Pine Lake

with the Automobile Club of Detroit

 
 
"Motoring" to Pine Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
1. "Motoring" to Pine Lake Marker
Inscription.
It was a time of exciting change,
as the first automobiles tangled with horses and trolley cars in the streets and countryside. On June 23, 1902 a group of leading businessmen and industrialists came together at the Detroit Club to form the Automobile Club of Detroit promoting automobiles, roadway development, and the thrill of "motoring." Auto tours in southeast Michigan became major events for members and tests of endurance for early automobiles. A favorite destination was the rural lake region of Oakland County, and within a few years drivers rested overnight at a new clubhouse on scenic Pine Lake.

You Auto Know
In 1905 the annual dues at the Pine Lake clubhouse were $5.00 and the clubhouse was open from May through October.
 
Erected by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area marker series.
 
Location. 42° 36.099′ N, 83° 20.522′ W. Marker is in West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Touch for map. Marker is on the West Bloomfield Trail, a bicycling/hiking trail, about 0.5 mile north of Orchard Lake Road crossing
Upper Left Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
2. Upper Left Image
The world's first concrete paved road. Woodward Avenue between Six and Seven Mile Roads, 1909. The Automobile Club of Detroit gave financial support toward further paving of Woodward Avenue. Photo courtesy of the Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library.
#3 and about 0.8 mile south of Orchard Lake Crossing #4. Marker can be seen from Hester Court Park at the end of Hester Court in Keego Harbor. Marker is in this post office area: West Bloomfield MI 48324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Good Company (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Lake and a Trolley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Waiting Room and the "Wye" (approx. mile away); Lakes and Attractions (approx. 0.8 miles away); Tracks Over Tracks (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gateway to Nature (approx. 1.2 miles away); Apple Island (approx. 1.3 miles away); Waiting for the Trolleys (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Bloomfield Township.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
Middle Left Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
3. Middle Left Image
Henry B. Joy and Russell A. Alger, Jr. driving a Packard 30 runabout, about 1907. Two of the founders of the club, these men came from leading Michigan families and joined in the leadership of Packard Motor Car Company in Detroit. Photo courtesy of The Detroit News.
Lower Left Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
4. Lower Left Image
A trophy from the first "Century Tour" in 1906. Started by club member and automotive pioneer Roy D. Chapin, the Century Tour competition traced a route of 100 miles from Birmingham to Pine Lake. The trophy is displayed at the Pine Lake Country Club.
Upper Middle Images image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
5. Upper Middle Images
The Detroit Club, at Fort Street and Cass Avenue in downtown Detroit, was the site of the first meeting of the Automotive Club of Detroit. Henry B. Joy, right, was one of the club's founders. That year, Joy was investing heavily in Packard automobiles, and within a year moved the Packard Motor Car company to Detroit from Ohio.
Lower Middle Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
6. Lower Middle Image
The first Pine Lake clubhouse of the Automobile Club of Detroit, about 1905. George Hodges offered the lake bluff property and built the clubhouse for the rest and relaxation of club members. It later became the Pine Lake Country Club. Image courtesy of Oakland County.
"Motoring" to Pine Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 2, 2017
7. "Motoring" to Pine Lake Marker
View looking south along the West Bloomfield Trail.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 8, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement