Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eastland in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Bankhead Highway

 
 
The Bankhead Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2017
1. The Bankhead Highway Marker
Inscription. The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nationís first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used reliably year-round. It was named for Alabama Senator John H. Bankhead, author of the Federal Highway Act of 1916, which provided federal aid to states for highway construction.
† An “All Texas” route from Texarkana to El Paso was approved when the Bankhead Highway Association met in Mineral Wells in April, 1919. A few branches were also approved. The primary route coincided with Texas Highway No. 1. About 900 miles long, the Texas 1 Bankhead comprised nearly one-third of the total length of the national road.
† The Texas Bankhead became part of the route known as the “Broadway of America.” After numbers replaced names on national highways in 1926, the Bankhead route from Texarkana became part of US-67 to Dallas, where it joined US-80. Those federal highways were often realigned and by the 1960s gave way to Interstates 30 and 20 (which merged with I-10 in far West Texas).
† Despite the changes, most of the early Bankhead in Texas remains as state and county roads that connect the towns which the interstates by-passed. The Bankhead name lives on in public
The Bankhead Highway Marker on far right corner of former Eastland National Bank building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2017
2. The Bankhead Highway Marker on far right corner of former Eastland National Bank building.
memory, as do miles of Bankhead pavement from the 1920s.
 
Erected by Bankhead Highway Association.
 
Location. 32° 24.068′ N, 98° 49.084′ W. Marker is in Eastland, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Seaman Street (Texas Route 112) and East Commerce Street, on the right when traveling north on South Seaman Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the wall of the building at the corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 South Seaman Street, Eastland TX 76448, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Banking in Eastland (here, next to this marker); Eastland (a few steps from this marker); Eastland County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Settlers of Eastland County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church (about 400 feet away); Hargus Farm (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Merriman Baptist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastland.
 
Also see . . .
1. Texas Historical Commission article on the Bankhead Highway. Map shows one of the alternate routes passed in front of the building. (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.) 

2. Map of Bankhead Highway route through Eastland (.pdf). (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
3. Wikipedia article on the Bankhead Highway through Texas. (Submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement