Near Old Pleasant Hill in De Soto Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Dog Trot House
This house is the only remaining structure of the original village of Pleasant Hill. It was occupied by the J.W. Elam family after the Civil War. J.W. Elam was wounded in the eastern theater, was home on recuperation leave, and served as a scout for General Taylor during Red River Campaign. The house served as a hospital after the Battle of Pleasant Hill.
3rd Sgt. Gabrial Landrum
Co. E 11 Texas C.S.A.
Whose regiment fought on this spot
in the Battle of Pleasant Hill
April 9, 1864
Buried in Landrum Cemetery
Grandfather of W.W. Poimboeuf, M.D.
Location. 31° 51.312′ N, 93° 31.197′ W. Marker is near Old Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, in De Soto Parish. Marker is on Louisiana Route 175 half a mile west of Louisiana Route 177, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pelican LA 71063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate and Union Soldier Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Road to Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Headquarters Department of the Gulf / Headquarters Trans-Mississippi Dept. Pleasant Hill Battlefield (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Pleasant Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Old Pleasant Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Cistern (approx. 0.4 miles away); War for Southern Independence (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Pleasant Hill.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.