Lakewood in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Paul Sorg Mansion
(The Green Farm)
Paul Arthur Sorg. Bide-A-Bit 1906.
Arthur Sorg was the son of an affluent resident of Middletown, Ohio. His father, P.J. Sorg, was associated with the American Tobacco Company. The family spent summers in Lakewood in the 1890's and early part of 1900's.
Paul Sorg completed this mansion he called "Bide-a-Bit" in 1906. It was designed by an English architect and combined Tudor-style elements with aspects of a Scottish hunting lodge. The carvings of the exceptional interior woodwork include figures from Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales".
Paul Sorg died in 1913 and his wife, Jennie, continued to summer in Lakewood until she died in 1929. At that time, John Coe, a local resident, opened the mansion as a tearoom called the Sorg Manor. It continued as a tearoom under the ownership of of Edward and Augusta Green in 1950. The new name, The Green Farm, was carried from their previous tearoom in the Stow area. In later years the tearoom was closed and the Greens developed an elegant gift and clothing shop. It was closed in 2000 and sold to private interests.
Erected 2013 by Lakewood History Committee. (Marker Number 9.)
Location. 42° 6.331′ N, 79° 19.579′ W. Marker is in Lakewood, New York Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakewood NY 14750, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aull Cottage (a few steps from this marker); Packard Mansion (a few steps from this marker); First Kent House and Second Kent House (a few steps from this marker); Lakeview House, Sterlingworth Hotel and Lakewood Country Club (a few steps from this marker); Lakewood Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); New Holbrook Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chautauqua Avenue, Looking North to Lake (about 700 feet away); Chautauqua Avenue, Looking South (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakewood.
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.