Sault Ste. Marie in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada
Born in Dublin, Ireland, and raised in London, this famous 19th century author, illustrator and social reformer joined her husband, Robert Jameson, Attorney General of Upper Canada, at Toronto in 1836. The following June, unescorted, Mrs. Jameson travelled to Port Talbot, Detroit, and Mackinaw. From there she journeyed by bateau to Sault Ste. Marie, descended the rapids, and attended an Indian Assembly at Manitoulin. She travelled on to Toronto by way of Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe. Upon her return to England in 1838, Mrs. Jameson published an account of her tour entitled 'Winter Studies and Summer Rambles in Canada'. This book became an invaluable historical source for the life and personalities of the period. Thereafter Mrs. Jameson devoted much time to social and educational reform for English women.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 46° 30.624′ N, 84° 20.357′ W. Marker is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in Algoma District. Marker is on St Mary's River Drive 0.2 kilometers west of Foster Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the waterfront on the Hub pedestrian trail, near the Spirits Rising monument. Marker is in this post office area: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 5V4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dr. Roberta Bondar (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The North West Company Post (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Nicolas Perrot (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Francis Hector Clergue (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Sault Ste. Marie Ship Canal (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); The First Sault Ste. Marie Canal (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Precious Blood Cathedral (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sault Ste. Marie.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Anna Jameson. (Submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 114 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.