Grand Ecore in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. Military Road #11
Constructed by soldiers of Fort Jesup
Extension of Old San Antonio Trace.
Grand Ecore supplanted Natchitoches
as a river port as early as 1836.
Fortifications of 1861-1865 nearby.
Two miles to Fort Selden, est. 1822.
Marked by the State of Louisiana
and the Daughters of the American Revolution A.D. 1952
Erected 1952 by State of Louisiana and the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 31° 48.981′ N, 93° 5.242′ W. Marker is in Grand Ecore, Louisiana, in Natchitoches Parish. Marker can be reached from Par Road 429 west of Natchitoches-Winnfield Highway (State Highway 6), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the entrance road to the Grand Ecore Visitors Center. Marker is in this post office area: Natchitoches LA 71457, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Selden (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Natchitoches Indians (approx. 3.6 miles away); Louis Juchereau de St. Denis El Camino Real (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of Fort Claiborne (approx. 3.7 miles away); The American Transition (approx. 3.7 miles away); Roque House (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Historic Cane River (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to the Grand Ecore Visitor Center. (Submitted on July 25, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
2. Old San Antonio Road. (Submitted on July 25, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.