Anacostia in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Defenses of Washington
Fort Carroll was named in honor of Maj. Gen. Samuel Sprigg Carroll, a West Point graduate from the District of Columbia.
Erected by National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 50.223′ N, 77° 0.417′ W. Marker is in Anacostia, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE 0.1 miles north of South Capitol Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in the Fort Carroll Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3720 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE, Washington DC 20032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Col. Raynal C. Bolling (approx. 0.4 miles away); Republic F-105D Thunderchief (approx. 0.6 miles away); Congress Heights School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Greble (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bolling Air Force Base (approx. 0.9 miles away); Giesboro Park Original Federal Boundary Stone Southeast 6 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 6 (was approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ).
More about this marker. The marker displays a plan of Fort Carroll from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing. A map shows other Civil War fortifications surrounding Washington, D.C. administered by the park service. The bottom of the marker is a wartime photo, used on many markers of this series, of a gun at Fort Totten, captioned During the Civil War, Washington's forts overlooked farm land.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Carroll. National Park Service page on the fort and nearby Fort Greble. (Submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Samuel S. Carroll. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Fort Carroll Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The fort had a perimeter of 340 yards. It covered what was Piscataway Road, passing up Oxen Run. Battery Carroll, with four unoccupied
In 1862 armament included two 8-inch siege howitzers, four 32-pdr. seacoast guns, six 12-pdr field guns, one 30-pdr Parrott rifle, and one 24-pdr. Coehorn mortar. However by 1864 the armament had evolved to one 12-pdr field gun, twelve 32-pdr seacoast guns, one 8-inch siege howitzer, two 30-pdr Parrott rifles, and one 24-pdr Coehorn mortar.
Units which spent time at this fort included the 70th New York Infantry, 4th and 10th New York Heavy Artillery, 17th and 19th Maine Heavy Artillery, 9th Rhode Island Infantry, and 8th Massachusetts Heavy Artillery.
In addition to the fortifications, the grounds became an administrative hub for this section of the Washington Defenses, including hospitals, provost marshal facilities, and garrison headquarters. After the war the fort was used for a short time by the Signal Corps.
— Submitted August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,602 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.