Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Altona in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

McGregor Powerhouse

 
 
McGregor Powerhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ellen Adams, July 30, 2017
1. McGregor Powerhouse Marker
Inscription. McGregor Powerhouse and LaSalle Dam est. 1923 by William H. Miner
 
Location. 44° 52.83′ N, 73° 39.344′ W. Marker is in Altona, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on Devils Den Road one mile south of Miner Farm Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to Feinburg Park. Marker is in this post office area: Altona NY 12910, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ober's Corners (approx. 5.3 miles away); R.R. Station (approx. 8 miles away); First State Hospital for Criminally Insane (approx. 11.3 miles away); Culver Hill Memorial (approx. 12.9 miles away); The War of 1812 (approx. 13 miles away); Isaac Platt Home (approx. 14.6 miles away); Col. Thomas Miller's Home (approx. 14.8 miles away); a different marker also named The War of 1812 (approx. 15 miles away).
 
Regarding McGregor Powerhouse. Construction began on the McGregor Dam in 1922 at the site on the Great Chazy River then known as McGregor Pond, about 15 miles downstream from Chazy Lake. William H. Miner's workmen constructed a 1500-foot concrete dam and installed a 5000-foot, 72-inch penstock. The McGregor Powerhouse, located downstream from the dam and built
View from McGregor Powerhouse image. Click for full size.
By Ellen Adams, July 30, 2017
2. View from McGregor Powerhouse
The concrete saddles formerly held the penstock.
in California Mission style, housed turbines and generators, as well as three apartments for employees and their families. Shortly after the McGregor project was completed in 1923, work began on the LaSell Dam, 1200 feet downstream from the powerhouse. This smaller dam was built on the site of an old sawmill owned by N.H. LaSell. A 16-mile transmission line connected the McGregor and LaSell plants to the Altona Powerhouse at Flat Rock and then to Heart's Delight Farm.
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
McGregor Powerhouse and LaSell Dam image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, ca. 1923
3. McGregor Powerhouse and LaSell Dam
Photo from the collection of the Alice T. Miner Museum, Chazy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York.   3. submitted on August 4, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement