Winnipeg, Manitoba — The Canadian Prairies
Forks of the Red and Assiniboine
Fourche de la Rouge et de L'Assiniboine
Strategically located at the junction of two major rivers which form part of a vast continental network, this spot has witnessed many of the key events of Western Canadian history. This was a traditional native stopping place and for this reason La Verendrye erected Fort Rouge near here in 1738. It is been a center for trade and exploration, a focus for the first permanent European settlement in the Canadian West, cradle of the province of Manitoba, nucleus of the city of Winnipeg, a hub of rail and road transport, and the gateway for the settlement of the prairies.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located on a walking path between Israel Asper Way and The Forks National Historic Amphitheatre. Marker is in this post office area: Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 4Y3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 26 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Creation of Manitoba (here, next to this marker); The Path of Time (within shouting distance of this marker); The Five Saint Boniface Cathedrals (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Canadian Northern Railway Freight Lift Bridge, East Yard (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Twin Oaks (approx. 21.1 kilometers away); St. Andrew’s Rectory (approx. 22.5 kilometers away); St. Andrews Anglican Church (approx. 22.5 kilometers away); St. Andrews Caméré Curtain Dam (approx. 25.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winnipeg.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.