Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
In aboriginal times the Kaministikwia river was an important link between the Great Lakes and the northwest, and from the late 17th century French posts here at its mouth served as bases for the penetration of the interior. Between 1804 and 1821 this was the depot from which the North West Company tapped the rich fur resources of half a continent. In 1875 construction was begun for the lake terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway, and in 1883 the first grain from the prairies reached here for trans-shipment to the east. In 1905 a second transcontinental line, the Grand Trunk Pacific, was begun from here.
Location. 48° 22.834′ N, 89° 15.643′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is on Arthur Street East 0.1 kilometers east of Brunswick Street South, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located just inside the north entrance of Vickers Park from Arthur Street East. Marker is in this post office area: Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 2R6, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Western Route of the C.P.R. (approx. one kilometer away); William McGillivray (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Fort Kaministiquia 1717 (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The Capture of Fort William (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Fort William (approx. 2.4 kilometers away); Elizabeth Muriel Gregory "Elsie" MacGill (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Canadian Car & Foundry (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 4.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 127 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.