Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Fort Kaministiquia 1717
A small fort was established near here in 1717 by a French officer, Zacharie Robutel de la NouŽ. First of a projected series of bases en route to the "Western Sea", it replaced a structure built in 1679 by Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Dulhut, on another branch of the Kaministiquia River delta. It served as a trading post and base of operations, 1727-43, for Pierre Gaultier de la Vťrendrye, the famous explorer. Following the conquest of New France in 1760 this fort was abandoned. A later Fort Kaministiquia, built a short distance downriver by the North West Company, was renamed Fort William in 1807. It became the nucleus of this city.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 48° 22.936′ N, 89° 14.743′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Donald Street East and May Street South, on the right when traveling east on Donald Street East. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of Thunder Bay City Hall, NE corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Donald Street East, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 5K4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William McGillivray (here, next to this marker); The Western Route of the C.P.R. The Capture of Fort William (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fort William (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); a different marker also named Fort William (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 4.6 kilometers away); Elizabeth Muriel Gregory "Elsie" MacGill (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Canadian Car & Foundry (approx. 4.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.