Sparta in Hancock County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Glen Mary “The Temple on the Hill”
Built Circa 1848
During the Civil War, Glen Mary was narrowly spared by Union General William Tecumseh Sherman’s invading armies and became a hiding place for Confederate Secretary of State Robert Toombs after the Confederates surrendered in 1865.
In 1869, Colonel Smith sold Glen Mary to his former adversary, Union General Ethan Allen Hitchcock and his wife, Martha Rind Nicholls Hitchcock. General Hitchcock died here on August 5, 1870. Mrs. Hitchcock ran the estate until her death in 1918 when it descended to her niece. Glen Mary remained the Nicholls family farm until the 1980s.
Preservation America Trust purchased Glen Mary in 1998 and has overseen a comprehensive restoration to its original appearance.
Erected 2017 by Fort Peachtree Chapter NSDAR.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 33° 10.65′ N, 83° 0.033′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7342 Linton Road, Sparta, GA 31087, Sparta GA 31087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gov. Charles James McDonald (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hancock County (approx. 6.9 miles away); Old Eagle Tavern (approx. 6.9 miles away); Sparta (approx. 7 miles away); Pierce Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Sparta Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); "Old Dominion" (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rockby (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sparta.
Categories. • Architecture • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.