Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

“That a Ladies Course be Organized”

 
 
"That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 21, 2017
1. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 1
Inscription.
Side 1
The first women at the Michigan Agricultural College enrolled in 1896 in the "women's course," taught by Edith F. McDermott, Professor of Domestic Economy and Household Science. In 1899, the Michigan Legislature appropriated $89,000 for a new building for women. Morrill Hall was dedicated in 1900 as the first residential college on campus, housing 120 female students. Although the early program was undifferentiated from the academic program for men, it soon grew to include content of interest to women in their family roles. In 1908, the women's course became known as Home Economics, and Maude Gilchrist was named the first dean. By the 1920s, the program included education, child development, foods and nutrition, home management, and clothing and textiles. The Home Economics building opened in 1924, one of several classroom and research buildings erected between World Wars I and II, to house new classrooms and specialized training. After World War II, the Home Management House was established (1947) and offered a residential experience to home economics students studying the organization and management of the modern home. The School of Home Economics became the College of Home Economics in 1956.

Side 2
A 1967 study of the future of home economics
"That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 1 Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 21, 2017
2. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 1 Image
Morrill Hall, dedicated in 1900.
resulted in a change in direction and in a new name for the college. The change to the College of Human Ecology on July 1, 1970, signaled the new focus on the study of the interaction of humans with their environments. Professor Beatrice Paolucci was a leader in helping define the direction of the College and the field, and developed an international reputation for her role in advancing the theories and strategies for the ecological studies of individuals and families. In 1989, the Home Management House was renamed the Paolucci Building.

In 2006, all programs within the College were integrated into four other MSU colleges, with the close of the College of Human Ecology on August 1, 2006.
 
Erected by Michigan State University.
 
Location. 42° 44.028′ N, 84° 28.914′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on West Circle Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University, on westbound West Circle Drive and about 475 feet east of Abbott Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 552 West Circle Drive, Detroit MI 48224, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Women's Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University
"That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 21, 2017
3. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 2
(about 400 feet away); Michigan State University (about 700 feet away); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (about 700 feet away); Harry J. Eustace Hall (about 700 feet away); Alice B. Cowles House (about 800 feet away); Sleepy Hollow (about 800 feet away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
 
Categories. EducationWomen
 
"That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 2, Upper Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 21, 2017
4. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 2, Upper Image
Home Economics Building became the Human Ecology Building in 1970.
"That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 2, Lower Image image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 21, 2017
5. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker - Side 2, Lower Image
The Home Management House became the Paolucci Building in 1989.
"That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 21, 2017
6. "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement