Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
At least 9,000 years old, the Cummins site is one of the most significant of several Palaeo-Indian archaeological sites that form the Lakehead Complex. Many of these early seasonal camps were located on the shoreline of ancient Lake Minong, at a similar elevation to this plaque, along a broad bay that covered much of the present-day city of Thunder Bay. Aboriginal people took advantage of caribou migration routes, freshwater resources, and especially the Cummins site's taconite outcrops that they quarried to make tools. As such, the sites of the Lakehead Complex represent a unique adaptation to an early post-glacial environment.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 48° 26.051′ N, 89° 14.1′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Colonel Keene Drive and High Street South, on the right when traveling east on Colonel Keene Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located in Hillcrest Park. Marker is in this post office area: Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 3K5, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Simon James Dawson (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968 (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Connaught Square (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904 (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Sir William C. Van Horne (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); C.D. Howe (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 2.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.