Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockholm in Stockholm County, Södermanland Province, Sweden — Northern Europe (Scandinavia)
 

A Park and Gardens

 
 
A Park and Gardens Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 9, 2017
1. A Park and Gardens Marker
Inscription. 1838 anlade Svenska Trädgårdsföreningen en park och trädgårdsanläggning på Barnhuskällaretomten. Vid ingången mot Drottninggatan uppfördes två paviljonger och mellan dem ett järnstaket, den södra paviljongen blev cafe, den norra kom att användas till baler, offentlig dans och teaterföreställningar etc, denna typ av verksamhet pågick fram till 1873 varefter Artur Hazelius öppnade den "Skandinaviska Etnografiska Samlingen" föregångaren till Nordiska Museet och Skansen. 1899 blev sista år för paviljongerna som museibyggnad. Efter en period som biograflokaler revs paviljongerna 1910, kvar blev detta järnstaket vilket 1995 renoverades av , Landsorganisationen och Stockholms Stad. Arbetet utfördes av Mälarvarvet.


[Rough English Translation:]
In 1838 the Swedish Garden Association constructed a park and gardens at Barnhuskällaretomten (literally = Orphans' Cellar Plot). At the entrance to Drottninggatan (the street here) two pavilions were built and between them an iron fence erected. The southern pavilion became a cafe, the north was used for balls, public dances and theatrical performances, etc. This type of activity continued until 1873, after which Artur Hazelius opened the "Scandinavian Ethnographic Collection", which was the predecessor of the Nordic Museum and Skansen. 1899 was the last year for the
A Park and Gardens Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 9, 2017
2. A Park and Gardens Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here, mounted to the fence just to the right of the gate (which is an entrance to the City Conference Center).
use of the pavilions as museum buildings. After a period of use as cinemas, in 1910 the pavilions were remodeled, and the iron fence was refurbished in 1995 by the Swedish Confederation of Labor and the City of Stockholm. The work was performed by Mälarvarvet.
 
Location. 59° 20.168′ N, 18° 3.541′ E. Marker is in Stockholm, Södermanland Province, in Stockholm County. Marker is on Drottninggattan just north of Olaf Palmen gata. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Drottninggattan 71, Stockholm, Södermanland Province, Sweden.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Första Cirkusföreställningen i Sverige / The First Circus in Sweden (here, next to this marker); Warodellska Huset / The Warodell House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Carl Jonas Love Almquist (about 180 meters away); LO-Huset / LO Building (about 240 meters away); Konserthuset / The Concert Hall (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); August Blanche (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Centrumhuset / Center Building (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); August Strindberg (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockholm.
 
Categories. AnthropologyEducationEntertainmentHorticulture & Forestry
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement