Near Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Banks Dairy Farm
The main concentration of the Banks Dairy Farm was dairy operations with most of the milk going to the family owned City Dairy Company. The farm also produced other livestock, wheat, cotton, tobacco, peanuts, watermelon and corn.
Each of the children of D. C. and Annie Banks performed specific jobs on the farm under the overall supervision of D. C. Osborne was in charge of the plant in town, Lonnie in charge of milking, Edwin in charge of feed crops, and Henry handled milk. Other children included Nina, Grace, Martha Ann and Bernard. The dairying operations of the farm ended in 1982 with the sale to Coble Dairy.
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is on Banks Dairy Road less than 100 yards northwest of the Nesmith Road intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6319 Banks Dairy Road, Statesboro GA 30459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skirmish at Statesboro (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Statesboro (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bulloch County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 4.8 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 4.8 miles away); Statesboro Confederate Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); W. Jones Lane Memorial Highway (approx. 5.2 miles away); Pioneer Turpentining Experiment (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
Regarding Banks Dairy Farm. The Banks Family house stands across Banks Dairy Road from the marker. A published source (a history of Bulloch County) states that it may have been built prior to 1810 by James Gross Brannen. It seems much more likely that it was built in 1880.
Categories. • Agriculture •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.