The Military Presence
As a "military factory," Springfield Armory was a hybrid installation, never a typical military post. During and after the Civil War, the military presence increased, with junior officers taking more of a hand in supervising production and research. From 1877 to 1930 a small ordnance detachment was stationed here, providing increased security for the site.
The need for additional housing for junior officers led to the construction of this duplex dwelling in 1870. The building is the only one on the site displaying the French Second Empire architectural style. It has been described as "a grace note...which lightens the severity of Armory Square."
Erected by National Park Service and Springfield Technical Community College.
Location. 42° 6.417′ N, 72° 34.842′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Massachusetts, in Hampden County. Touch for map. Marker is near the south corner of Armory Square, part of the Springfield National Historic Site and Springfield Technical Community College campus complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Armory Street, Springfield MA 01105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Innovation Continues at STCC (within shouting distance of this marker); Forging Arms for Our Nation
Also see . . .
1. Springfield Armory National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Springfield Armory National Historic Site on Facebook. (Submitted on August 16, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.