Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Weymouth in Norfolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The First Church in Weymouth

Gathered in 1623

 
 
The First Church in Weymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 23, 2017
1. The First Church in Weymouth Marker
Inscription.
Settlers from England formed the nucleus of the first parish. The Town Meeting form of government originated here. The first meetinghouse was on Burying Hill. The present site was purchased in 1682 and this meetinghouse was erected in 1833.

 
Erected 1966 by Town of Weymouth Historical Committee.
 
Location. 42° 13.766′ N, 70° 56.681′ W. Marker is in North Weymouth, Massachusetts, in Norfolk County. Marker is on Church Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: North Weymouth MA 02191, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First School House in Weymouth (within shouting distance of this marker); Abigail Adams Birthplace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abigail Adams Cairn (approx. 2.7 miles away); Samuel Lincoln House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Liberty Tree Park (approx. 3 miles away); Old Ship Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hingham Massachusetts (approx. 3.1 miles away); Adams National Historical Park (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Weymouth.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
The First Church in Weymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 23, 2017
2. The First Church in Weymouth Marker
The First Church in Weymouth image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 23, 2017
3. The First Church in Weymouth
William Smith, the father of Abigail Adams, served as a minister of this church for almost 50 years. During the Revolutionary War, an early reading of the Declaration of Independence happened here, and the church was also used to store gunpowder.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement