Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brighton in Livingston County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Paul's

 
 
St. Paul's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 27, 2017
1. St. Paul's Marker
Inscription. When the Reverend William A. Clark, D. D., purchased his land in Brighton Township, he set aside an acre as a church site and established a cemetery near it. In 1837 he organized an Episcopal group and conducted its first services in his orchard. The group worshiped in rented quarters for over forty years before it erected this church. Ernest W. Arnold designed the English style structure, which was built by local contractor James Collett. The church was completed in 1881. Reverend Clark's son, John, officiated at the first service.
 
Erected 1983 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1011.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 31.804′ N, 83° 46.925′ W. Marker is in Brighton, Michigan, in Livingston County. Marker is at the intersection of West St. Paul Street and North West Street, on the right when traveling west on West St. Paul Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West St. Paul Street, Brighton MI 48116, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. B.T.O. Clark (a few steps from this marker); Old Town Hall (within
St. Paul's Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 27, 2017
2. St. Paul's Episcopal Church and Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Brighton Hook and Ladder Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); John McKinney (within shouting distance of this marker); Duke the Hereford (within shouting distance of this marker); Bessie the Holstein (within shouting distance of this marker); Alice Jolly (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Ford and John Tanner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brighton.
 
Also see . . .  A brief History of St. Paul's. (Submitted on August 29, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 29, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement