Oxford in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Remnants of a Glorious Past
Built: 1890- 1892
Born of the vision of President Leila McKee and built through the generousity of Olivia Meily Brice, Class of 1866 and Western’s first woman Trustee, Alumnae Hall was truly the gift of women to women. Its state-of-the-art laboratories, spacious lecture hall and classrooms, glorious circular library, and skylit art gallery epitomized the “liberal arts,” marked the transition from seminary to college, and launched a new era in the history of Western College.
Location. 39° 30.137′ N, 84° 43.54′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Western College Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the “Western Campus” of Miami University, across from Kumler Chapel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 645 Western College Dr, Oxford OH 45056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freedom Summer 1964 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. half a mile away); William Holmes McGuffey House The DeWitt Family / The DeWitt Log Homestead (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Legend of the Baby in the Well (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mother of Fraternities (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Categories. • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 1, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.