Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chatham in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chatham

 
 
Chatham Marker image. Click for full size.
By Susan Allen, February 15, 2017
1. Chatham Marker
Inscription. Settled by John and Daniel Day. Named for the Earl of Chatham William Pitt. Washington often visited troops here.
 
Erected by The State Department of Conservation and Development.
 
Location. 40° 44.776′ N, 74° 23.693′ W. Marker is in Chatham, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Main Street near Boundary Road, Madison, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatham NJ 07928, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chatham Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Chatham Township (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Chatham Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); New Jersey Journal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Day's Bridge Summit (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); James Madison (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bonnel Town - Chatham (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatham.
 
Regarding Chatham. The bridge crossing the Passaic River was originally the central part of what we know as Chatham. John and Daniel Day moved to the area from Long Island in approximately 1730. They settled close to a bridge that crossed the Passaic River and it became known as "John Day's Bridge".

In 1773, the village was named in honor of William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham due to his strong support of the American patriots. In Anglo-Saxon "chete" means cottage and "ham" means village, thus the name Chatham, a village of cottages.

George Washington made frequent visits to Chatham. From the high vantage spot, it enabled him to view the landscape that housed the British troops.

In 1798, Chatham Township encompassed Madison, Florham Park, Summit, Borough of Chatham and present Chatham Township. In 1857, the Borough of Chatham was formed.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2017, by Susan Allen of Chatham, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on September 4, 2017, by Susan Allen of Chatham, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement