The Macland Plantation Bell
circa mid to late 1800s
Major Amos Webb, who built Arlington Plantation in nearby Washington, Louisiana, bought additional land near the north bank of Bayou Bouef in 1836, and built Macland Plantation for his son, Dr. Louis Archibald Webb in circa 1842.
The Thislethwaite Planting Co., Ltd. bought the land in 1912 and the family members lived there until 1920, before moving to Opelousas. The family relocated the bell to Opelousas for safe keeping and in 2001 donated the bell to Le Vieux Village.
Identification on the supports of the bell shows that it was manufactured in Hillsboro, Ohio at Bell's Foundry, a company which became famous for its production of steel alloy bells. Bell's Foundry, which is located about 60 miles from Cincinnati, Ohio, was primarily known throughout history as a bell manufacturer under the guidance of a family fittingly named Bell.
The bell of the plantation was used to announce the time of day, for school, work and meals. This particular bell is identified as having a yoke of 28 inches in diameter weighing 294 lbs. The weight of the bell and mounting is 450 pounds, to say the least. The list price in 1895 was $50 which was for a complete bell that included a wheel for rope without any extra charge. A trolling hammer, when ordered, was $5 extra.
The bell was shipped by wagon from Cincinnati via water using the Ohio
Erected by City of Opelousas Louisiana.
Location. 30° 31.877′ N, 92° 4.46′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry Street (U.S. 190) east of South Academy Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 828 East Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jarrell Home (here, next to this marker); St. Joseph Methodist Church for Colored People (a few steps from this marker); Whiteville School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Jane Steam Engine Train (within shouting distance of this marker); Venus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Le Vieux Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Pacific Freight Depot (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2017.