Covington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Alleghany County Confederate Soldiers Monument
To the Confederate Soldiers of Alleghany County.
"They fought for liberty, home and those they loved, their names are borne on honor's shield and their record is with God."
Erected in loving tribute by the Alleghany Chapter, U.D.C.
Alleghany County furnished more soldiers to the Confederate cause than she had voters.
"Fate denied them victory, but crowned them with glorious immortality."
Unveiled September 15, 1911.
Erected 1911 by Alleghany Chapter U.D.C.
Location. 37° 47.55′ N, 79° 59.745′ W. Marker is in Covington, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and North Court Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 268 W Main St, Covington VA 24426, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alleghany's Heroic Dead. (within shouting distance of this marker); Alleghany's Heroic Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Alleghany's Heroic Dead Fort Young (approx. 1.1 miles away); Averellís Salem Raid (approx. 2.1 miles away); Humpback Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Road to the Kanawha (approx. 4.7 miles away); Falling Spring Falls (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 6, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.