Clinton Theater / Memory Lane
On New Year’s Day, 1927 the Clinton movie theater opened, showing Frank Capra’s comedy The Strong Man. This theater was built as part of the James theater group. It was designed by architect Henry Holbrook in the Adams style with decorative ter- ricotta and a beautiful lighted marquee. The main theater sat 1,500 guests and featured a domed ceiling with pearlescent finish and multicolored recessed lights. At the time, the building was air-conditioned-only the second such building in central Ohio. Two store fronts flanked the main ticket office. Above those store fronts was a full-sized ballroom that guests could use for dancing during intermissions. The lobby was lined with green marble and fluted columns.
Early on the theater’s original owner sold out to his manager James Real Neth. In 1948 the marquee was replaced. In 1973 the last movie, Burt Reynold’s White Lightning, was projected on the big screen. After that the theater served as a warehouse to the successful Clintonville Electric Company.
In 2010 citizens worked to convert the theater into a Farmer’s Market with parking and a community gathering space. Unfor- tunately the Clinton Theater was demolished in October of 2010. A piece of the building’s terracotta crown is preserved on Memory Lane.
Shortly after the project began, America entered World War II. In the years that followed, more than 100 trees were planted in memory of the “Clintonville Boys.” When State Route 315 was routed through the area, much of the memorial was removed. The original WWII plaques were collected and placed in Union Cemetery.
Memory Lane continues. Over the years, replacement trees have been planted by caring citizens. The Clintonville Boys are now recognized by a black granite monument. Other memory gardens are present. Take a walk down Memory Lane!
Erected 2016 by The Clintonville Historical Society.
Location. 40° 1.891′ N, 83° 1′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on West North Broadway, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 W North Broadway, Columbus OH 43214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clintonville / Clinton Township (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); East North Broadway Historic District (was about 500 feet away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Clinton Township High School / East North Broadway Historic District (about 600 feet away); Rand P. Hollenback (approx. 0.7 miles away); Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 1.3 miles away); Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure/Sunwall and Moonwall Murals (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jesse Owens (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Architecture • Entertainment • Roads & Vehicles • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 6, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.