Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baker City in Baker County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Baker

Historic Oregon Trail

 
 
Baker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2017
1. Baker Marker
Inscription. In October 1861, a group of prospectors in search of the mythical Blue Bucket Mine, made camp on a creek six miles southwest of here. That evening, Henry Griffin discovered gold in the gulch which bears his name. That started a stampede which continued for years. In 1862, Baker County was created and named for Colonel E.D. Baker, U.S. Senator from Oregon. The present town of Baker was an important Home Station on the stage line between Salt Lake City and Kenton, Utah to The Dalles, Oregon, and a great distributing center when jerk-line freight teams hauled supplies into the vast interior.
 
Erected by Oregon Highway Commission.
 
Location. 44° 46.949′ N, 117° 48.739′ W. Marker is in Baker City, Oregon, in Baker County. Marker can be reached from Campbell Street near Sunridge Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 Campbell Street, Baker City OR 97814, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Oregon Trail (a few steps from this marker); Baker City Chinese History (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chinese Shrine (approx. ¼ mile away); McCord House and Shop
Baker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 29, 2017
2. Baker Marker
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Gwilliam Brothers Bakery (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Masonic Temple (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bishop Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Basche-Sage Hardware Co. Building (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baker City.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located next to the Baker County Chamber of Commerce.
 
Also see . . .  Baker City -- Oregon Encyclopedia. During the 1880s and 1890s, Baker City’s wood-frame structures gave way to brick and stone buildings, giving the downtown a Victorian appearance. Primarily responsible for the change in architecture and the prosperity of the community were local Jewish businessmen.. (Submitted on September 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement