Bay St. Louis in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Old Spanish Customs House
On this site stood the "Spanish Customs House," perhaps the oldest structure in Bay St. Louis. The house is believed to have been built by French colonist Hyacinth Caron in 1787. The date of construction is based on an inscription in the brickwork. A two-and-a half-story stuccoed brick building of Creole architectural influence, the house originally included a two-tiered gallery on all four sides and three rooms on each floor connected by an exterior stair. Destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Erected 2014 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 30° 18.127′ N, 89° 19.93′ W. Marker is in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on South Beach Boulevard south of Citizen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 South Beach Boulevard, Bay Saint Louis MS 39520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Stanislaus College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Our Lady of the Gulf (approx. half a mile away); St. Joseph's Academy (approx. half a mile 100 Men D.B.A. Hall (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Bay St. Louis (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hancock County Bank (approx. 0.7 miles away); Publius Rutilius Rufus Pray (approx. 0.7 miles away); Naval Battle of Bay St. Louis (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay St. Louis.
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era • Disasters • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 21, 2017.