Bay St. Louis in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The summer home of George and Eliza Jane Poitevent Nicholson, locally known as "Fort" Nicholson, was located here. Better known as "Pearl Rivers." Eliza Nicholson (1849-1896) was a poet, writer, and published of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Innovative and fiscally savvy, she was one of the first female publishers in the U.S.
Erected 2013 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 30° 17.391′ N, 89° 21.453′ W. Marker is in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on North Beach Boulevard north of Nicholson Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay Saint Louis MS 39520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The "Pirate House" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hurricane Katrina (approx. one mile away); From the People of Waveland (approx. one mile away); Old Spanish Customs House (approx. 1.7 miles away); 100 Men D.B.A. Hall St. Stanislaus College (approx. 2.1 miles away); Our Lady of the Gulf (approx. 2.2 miles away); St. Joseph's Academy (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay St. Louis.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Places • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2017.