Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker image. Click for full size.
May 27, 2017
1. Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker
Inscription.
Ethel Clagett and Mabel Porter were among the first women in America to own a car dealership that was not inherited from a male spouse or relative. They opened their dealership in 1914 on Main Street and moved to a larger new facility on the southwest corner of Jefferson and North Union streets in 1929 (behind you - no longer standing). It operated into the 1960s.

The members of Jefferson Street Methodist Church completed their new church building in 1872, and finished the sanctuary in 1877. Methodist ministers first came to Natchez as circuit riders in the southwestern frontier during the territorial period (1798-1817). Lorenzo Dow, an early evangelist criticized that Natchez had not "three Christians in town, either white or black." In 1829, the Natchez Methodist Church formed the first Sunday School south of Philadelphia, and the first Protestant mission society in the South in 1835.

This 1866 photograph of the McClure House, built in the 1850s, shows the chinaberry trees that lined the city streets. The photo also shows the wooden picket fences that homeowners built to keep out the livestock that roamed freely through town. Natchez, like many towns, used pigs to eat the garbage often thrown into the streets.

Eidt's Two Hundred Service Station opened in 1935 as a Texaco

Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker image. Click for full size.
May 27, 2017
2. Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker
gas station and dealer of Goodrich tires. Its unusual name came from its telephone number, which was "200." The Eidt family ran the station until it closed about 1980.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Location. 31° 33.636′ N, 91° 24.004′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on Jefferson Street near North Union, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the Southwest corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Street Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Site of Cokesbury Chapel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 700 feet away); 300 Block of Martin Luther King Street (about 700 feet away); Intersection of Main and South Union Streets (about 800 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bud Scott (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2017.
Paid Advertisement