Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Battle of Jackson

Monday August 3, 1863

 

—Station One —

 
Battle of Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
September 23, 2017
1. Battle of Jackson Marker
Inscription.
In the late evening of August 3, 1863, Col. John L. Logan's Confederate cavalry (500 men), approached from the northwest by way of the Jackson-Woodville Road. Their scouts soon subdued the Federal pickets with the aid of local residents.

Confederate forces consisted of the 11th/17th Ark. Mounted Infantry, 9th Tenn Cavalry Battalion (Gant's) & the following Miss Cavalry battalions: Garlan's, Stockdale's, Cage's, Hughes' and also Roberts' Battery. They deployed in what was mostly a wooded area just west of the college grounds (to your left rear).


The Federal forces numbered between 350 & 500 men. Their commander, Lt. Moore Hanham, deployed this force in a line of battle facing East College Street.

The Federal Line {1} extended from the west wing dormitory (large white columned brick building to your left front on the college grounds) to near Pine Street. The 3rd Massachusetts Cavalry anchored the line's northern end. The 2nd Vermont Light Artillery was placed at the formations center. The remainder of the line was filled with men of the 1st, 3rd & 6th Corps D'Afrique.


The Confederates placed Roberts' Miss. Battery {2} 200-300 yards to your left rear. Around five p.m. Logan's men {3} struck directly at the Federals. A flanking movement {4} was also sent around the northern end of the Federal

Battle of Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
September 23, 2017
2. Battle of Jackson Marker
line. The Federals quickly fell back to the southeast where a new line formed briefly {5} near the southern end of the east-wing dormitory (no longer standing). They soon fled to a ravine {6} 150 yards to the south. The terrain prevented the Vermont Battery from following the other Federal units. The Vermonters, were forced to gallop directly toward the attacking Confederates {7} in hopes of reaching East College St., and fleeing southward through town.
 
Erected by Jackson Historic District Commission and Captain Gustavus Adolphus Scott Camp, No. 244 Sons of Confederate Veterans.
 
Location. 30° 50.462′ N, 91° 12.806′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Louisiana, in East Feliciana Parish. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and Pine Street, on the right when traveling south on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson LA 70748, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centenary State Historic Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Centenary State Historic Site (about 600 feet away); Centenary College's Main Academic Building (about 600 feet away); Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); First European Settlers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Feliciana Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Jackson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Feliciana Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. MilitaryWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2017.
Paid Advertisement