Arkansas Post in Arkansas County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The French Period
In 1751 the settlement was strengthened. The French Government sent a number of girls as wives for the settlers "with a dowry of a cow and calf, cock and five hens, gun and ammunition, axe and hoe, and a supply of garden seed".
Erected by National Park Service, Department of Interior.
Location. 34° 1.046′ N, 91° 20.863′ W. Marker is in Arkansas Post, Arkansas, in Arkansas County. Marker can be reached from Old Post Road 0.7 miles south of State Route 169. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1741 Old Post Road, Gillett AR 72055, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Post under Spain (here, next to this marker); Stone from Ruins of Old Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); The European Settlement (within shouting distance of this marker); Republican France (within shouting distance of this marker); The Post of Arkansas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The American Era (about 400 feet away); Edge of Empires (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Colbert Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arkansas Post.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture on Arkansas Post. (Submitted on September 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.