Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Battle of Jackson

Monday August 3, 1863

 

—Station Four —

 
Battle of Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
September 23, 2017
1. Battle of Jackson Marker
Inscription.
As the remaining gun of the 2nd Vermont rumbled by this point, hotly pursued by Confederate cavalry {1}, the main body of Federal infantry and cavalry {2} made its way, under Confederate pressure, through the woods and ravine and reached Clinton Road (present day LA Highway 10 just beyond the bridge). Here they formed another battle line {3}, but soon broke under Confederate attacks and began to retreat from Jackson toward the east.

The frame house with a porch to your immediate front (Brown Cottage, built ca 1818) is believed to be the oldest surviving structure in town. At the time of
the battler, it was the residence of the Irish-born mayor of Jackson, James G. King and his wife Martha E.H. Sims Scott Douglas King. Mrs. King participated in the American Colonization Society's effort to send manumitted slaves to Liberia by contributing seventeen freed slaves for passage.

Mayor King's brother, Rev. William R. King, left Jackson in 1848 with fifteen slaves to establish a settlement of freed slaves in Buxton, Canada. He soon became an influential member of the Northern abolitionist movement and was actively associated with what became to be known as the Underground Railroad.



In 1863, Mrs. King's oldest son, Colonel John S. Scott commanded a brigade of cavalry in the Army of Tennessee. This brigade

Battle of Jackson Marker image. Click for full size.
September 23, 2017
2. Battle of Jackson Marker
included the 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment raised by Scott in 1861. Mrs. King's younger son, William W. Douglas, served as ordnance sergeant in his brother's brigade.
 
Erected by Jackson Historic District Commission and Captain Gustavus Adolphus Scott Camp, No. 244 Sons of Confederate Veterans.
 
Location. 30° 50.251′ N, 91° 12.842′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Louisiana, in East Feliciana Parish. Marker is on College Street south of High Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson LA 70748, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle of Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Feliciana Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Feliciana Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jackson (about 700 feet away); Republic of West Florida (about 700 feet away); First European Settlers (about 700 feet away); Burial Site of Lt. Col. John C. McKowen (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
More about this marker. Located next to stairway leading to the brick trail/walk where the Battle Of Jackson markers are located along.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 25, 2017.
Paid Advertisement