Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets Marker
Inscription.
Edelweiss is a Swiss Chalet-style building which dates to 1883. The house offered both a great view of the Mississippi River and a convenient location for the family of its first owner, Joseph O'Brien, a coal-dealer at Natchez Under-the-Hill. The design of the house comes from an 1875 architectural pattern book. Books like this provided ideas for buildings in the past, just as today's house plan and builder's magazines influence modern home design.

Peter and Eliza Little gave part of the Rosalie property to the Methodist Church for the 1852 construction of The Parsonage. Like its neighbors, the house rests upon a raised basement to provide a view over the edge of the bluff to the Mississippi River below. At the end of the Civil War, the Methodist Church sold The Parsonage as a private home. Natchez has several historic buildings that housed clergymen. The Methodists refer to their minister's house as a "parsonage", while Presbyterians use the Scottish term "manse." A priest of the Roman Catholic or Episcopal Church resides in a "rectory."

Sawmill owner Peter Little built Rosalie in 1823, naming it for the French fort that once stood on a hill behind the house. Andrew L. Wilson bought the house in the late 1850s. The Union Army used it as their headquarters after they occupied Natchez in

Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets Marker
July 1863. Wilson family members deeded Rosalie in 1938 to the Mississippi State Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, who operate it as a house museum open to the public. The house still contains the Wilson family's 1850s home furnishings.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.616′ N, 91° 24.471′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on South BroadwayStreet near Washington Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Rosalie (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rosalie Cemetery (about 300 feet away); Bluff Park - Memorials and Louisiana Connections (about 600 feet away); Richard N. Wright (about 600 feet away); Natchez (about 600 feet away); Bernardo De Gálvez (about 700 feet away); Bluff Park - Playground for the City (about 700 feet away); Spanish Colonial Natchez (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. ArchitectureNotable BuildingsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2017.
Paid Advertisement